Thursday, June 09, 2005

I'll have a 'sparkling' martini please

Heard about this promotion going on at the Intercontinental Hotel in Dubai, UAE. You can order a martini poured over a one carat diamond in the glass. Sounds over the top, but what really is the point of that? Can you taste the diamond when you have your drink? The price tag is AED 30,000, which is roughly over CAD $10,000. And it comes with a surprise gift (probably the martini-soaked diamond, unless you managed to swallow it accidently).
But seriously, this brings to mind a question I've thought about and discussed with others before, most recently over e-mail with Omair who was, er, rather expressive about his feelings let's just say. In a world where thousands die every day of hunger and preventable diseases, is it wrong to indulge in $10,000 martinis and the like? What if I pay my taxes (let's say we're not libertarians and don't have a problem with a little dent in the pay cheque every month), give the requisite charity and some extra on top of that - am I not allowed to spend the rest of my money as I please? Spending is relative when you think about it. Splurging for me might be buying a pair of Ray-Bans or an extra pair of shoes, but it's still something I could do without, technically, and use that money to make someone's else life better.
And so if there's a millionaire who gives tonnes of charity, but happens to order a martini one day, diamond included, is that such an awful thing?

No comments: