The cost of a 'medium double-double'
A feature in the latest Imprint discusses how much UW students spend a year on coffee. The figures are high, and forced me to do an estimate of my own on an coffee spending per annum.
I have at least one medium coffee, usually from Tim Hortons, every day. Many days it's two or more, and I hardly ever get a coffee without also getting a bagel or a muffin or something else with it. So let's say I buy 1.5 cups of coffee (at $1.20 a cup) and a muffin/donut/something else ($1.05) every day. That's a conservative $2.85 a day (although I've found myself spending close to $4.00 every day on this stuff over the summer). It comes up to a total of $1040.25 for the whole year! I hope my mom isn't reading this.
I could be saving a lot of money if I drank homemade coffee or stocked muffins and bagels from the supermarket and just took one along with me every day. Fat chance on the homemade coffee, but the other option is doable.
I should be considering other ways to save money. In the struggle between convenience and cost, I usually come down on the side of convenience. Something tells me it's going to be hard to change that.
4 comments:
I also fall into the trap of drinking a 'medium double double coffee' everyday. However, I have a Tim Hortens in the main floor of where I work, so I am tempted everyday I walk to my desk. But, during that same walk, I walk pass the 'free coffee' kitchen, listening to people chat it up while brewing their coffee, always telling myself one day I will be one of them. I am still waiting for that day.
Ali,
maybe we should open a Tim Horton's outlet. In that way we can get free coffee! and also make some $
Ozair, I have a free coffee machine at work too (you can get espressos and french vanillas and all that as well). The coffee's alright. I think it'll do for me while I'm there. I suggest you join that coffee club at work.
Hammad, do you have half a million dollars lying around somewhere? That's about how much a Tim Hortons franchise costs.
Ali,
I am sure the banks can trust us with their money ;-)
I would like to think our reasoning for opening the franchise i.e. free coffee is very convincing !!!
Post a Comment