Cheers for London
The Summer Olympics in 2012 went to London (as I predicted), who beat stiff competition from favourites Paris in their bid to host the games - other finalists were New York, Madrid and Moscow. London's derelict East End is now due to be regenerated and transformed as the games venue.
While I don't doubt that London or other developed cities will do a fantastic job hosting the Olympics, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to give poorer countries a chance to host the games. All of the recent summer games (except Beijing in 2008) have gone to First World countries - Greece (the poorest of these), Australia, US, and Spain. Even for 2012 the finalists all belong to G8 members.
My advice to the IOC: I think it would be better if the Olympics were held in up and coming Third World countries - perhaps each games could be split up into two or three countries the way Korea and Japan co-hosted the Football World Cup in 2002. This would give poorer countries opportunities to boost their international presence, develop their cities and spur economic growth by creating jobs and inviting investment. So we might not have the glitz of London or Athens, but surely the greatest sporting event in the world is about more than just glitz or even sports.
No comments:
Post a Comment