Thursday, July 07, 2005

A good beginning

Brendan and I convinced Peter (and it took quite a bit of convincing) to ditch his Crusade meeting for Batman Begins. He didn't regret it. It's a well-done movie - great story, dark and original yet fits the superhero genre without the excessive cheese factor you'd find in Spiderman, and good acting overall (except perhaps Katie Holmes). I did think though that comparing Gotham City with Rome and Constantinople was maybe stretching it a bit.
There is a quite apparent undertone of private benevolence, corporate social responsibility and class struggle. Other themes: individual rights vs social benefit (or maybe I'm just thinking too much).
Overall: 8/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i finally saw Batman Begins.... wicked. i thought it was well done. i especially liked the last scene where Gordon gives Batman the Joker card, sort of tying this movie into what we're familiar with when it comes to Batman. One thing that was confusing was when Liam Neeson's character tells Bruce Wayne that he and his people killed Wayne's parents...... i might be mistaken, but isn't the original story that Jack Napier (who later becomes Joker) the one who killed Wayne's parents?

And Ali, remember that Gotham City doesn't really exist. So, when they're comparing it to Rome and Constantinople, they're talking about a fake city.

Ali said...

Yeah well, even a fake city has proportions, and I don't think Gotham's match those of Rome and Constantinople.

About who killed Bruce's parents, I'm sure they'll find a way to clear that discrepancy in a sequel if need be.