Friday, July 28, 2006

Why Friday prayer should be short(er)

Taking the twenty minute or so walk to the mosque for weekly Friday prayers took a little longer than usual today. It was an especially humid early afternoon, and while I enjoy the extra sun, the fact that I had broken into a bit of a sweat not long into my walk made me dread what was to come next.

A packed mosque, already filled to capacity when I got there, with people beginning to crowd outside in the lobby and the corridors. I joined this group of people, which when I had arrived was quite small, but seemed to grow exponentially by the minute, each of us waiting for the khutba (sermon) to end so we could get inside.

Alas, it seemed the imam had a lot to say. I doubt anyone who was part of the overspill could hear - I certainly couldn't, apart from occasional words that led me to conclude that the sermon was about what's happening in the Middle East (surprise). I doubt it was anything significantly enlightening. Even if it was, and even if I could have heard it, lets just say it would have been a little difficult concentrating while standing at very close quarters with an ever-growing collection of males of all shapes, colours and sizes, and with the continuous run of sweat down my face and back.

Yes, I could have secured a place inside had I come a little earlier, but this isn't about just me. The fact is, there are a lot of people who go to Friday prayers, and regardless of who comes early and who doesn't, there will inevitably be a large number of people who are left to wait outside. Besides, I doubt the people sitting inside had it much easier. So, two and two together, let's make the Friday sermon and prayer short, at least on hot summer days.

And now for a shower and a change of clothes.

2 comments:

Abu Adam said...

Seems that we have some capacity problems.. How about these alternate suggestions? Rather than shortening the speech, maybe we need to increase our masjid size, or have 2 different prayer times for salatul juma on friday.

I just feel that this is the only reminder we get in the whole week, so its good to keep it a decent length (not too long though)

omair quadri said...

Interesting post.

I especially like the part of you taking a shower. Made ME all hot and sweaty ;)