Oh Brother
I've thought many times of making a post of this kind, but each time I've relented, either for lack of a drive to actually have to think of how to write it, or perhaps (and this might seem uncharacteristic of me) for fear that some might take it the wrong way or be offended.
So what is this about you must be wondering by now. It's about how I find odd and off-putting certain mannerisms and ways often seen in a cross-section of the Muslim population. I'm talking about ostensive and overbearing efforts to include 'religious lingo' (almost invariably in Arabic though not always) as part of regular conversation, and what often accompanies it, an even more obvious effort to try to properly pronounce the Arabic.
I have nothing against Arabic, quite the opposite - I consider it a singularly sophisticated and beautiful language. Neither do I have a problem with deference to God while speaking (again, quite the opposite). What I find odd is what is clearly a deliberate effort to generously, and often seemingly unnecessarily, sprinkle phrases like in sha Allah ("God willing"), elhamdu lillah ("all praise is to God"), subhan Allah ("glory to God"), estaghfer Allah ("I seek God's forgiveness") and many more, while conversing and even over email. That's not all. There are also the inevitable titles "Brother" or "Sister" used when addressing another Muslim person. And if that doesn't sound odd enough, consider how some prefer to use Arabic equivalents like Ya Akhi ("O Brother"). Remember, I'm talking about the regular "Hey, how's it going" kinda talk in the old English language, but now with this overtly "Islamic" flavour added by people who, nine times out of ten, are not familiar with Arabic beyond this limited set of words and phrases.
I may be accused of overstepping a little, because it is common and natural across the spectrum of the Islamic world - from the Atlantic to the Pacific - to have many of these phrases, in their original Arabic more or less, fused in the local culture. So yes, it's not really that weird for people to have them in common use, to some extent. What I'm talking about is when the use gets so extensive that it is obvious the speaker is making a point to ensure that his or her speech is lined with them. What is the reason for this I wonder? Is it because they think it is more virtuous to speak this way? Possibly (actually, likely). But that doesn't remove from the fact that it is also unnatural, and that it is obvious that it is unnatural, and might often turn off some people who may think the person they're talking to is trying too hard to be overtly pious, condescending and holier-than-thou.
Some would suggest this phenomenon is part of the wider identity issues surrounding Muslims in the West. "I am Muslim therefore I should speak this way." But I don't intend on getting into that discussion just right now.
For now, my two cents for such people: keep it real.
10 comments:
LOL, I hear you! It's jus so annonying when try use "Yani" before and after every word :|
ALi I cant agree more.
My lingo pet peeve is Akhee by a non arabic speaker.
This phenomenon is not only found in the Mulism world. Within Evangelical Christian circles, we speak in 'Christianese'. Thi language is used mainly around other Christians in an effort to make one sound more spiritual or to how off one' knowledge of theology, etc. However, the phrases used are, at the very least meaningless, and at best, misplaced and incorrectly used. In fact, once I get back to British Columbia, I just might have a post to write about this.
salaam...i occasionally visit your blog and most of the time read it without really feeling the need to respond...however, i sort of disagree with what you said this time...i mean, i get the whole bit about overusing akhee and stuff but using religious words (those that invoke Allah) -like alhamdulillah, inshaAllah, etc. is good practice...not only does it feel good but as a muslim, its a part of doing the dhikr...and i am not saying you can't do it in another language...like for instance you could say God willing or Thank God as long as you really are thinking of GOD (ALLAH)(same thing yes, i know) but thinking as a muslim and as part of your seeking reward for remembering Allah and really meaning it you know...and also, i think if you are in a different country which isnt as islamic as the one you come from then it also helps you identify with the person you are talking to...gives you a vague sense of community..as in from one muslim to another...i am not sure i am being clear but yea...i just dont see how it can be so annoying that's all...
ps - visit degrouchyowl.blogspot.com - she'd be perfect for you...i visited her site and dropped a comment in one of her entries as well (to visit yours, i.e.) but no response from either of you...you guys would be good together..yes, i have a basis for what might seem like this inane bit of the comment :-D
yeah, my favourite is when people use "inshaallah" when they mean "please." "brothers move forward inshaallah .."
i really feel it is good practice to use islamic lingo, rather than using senseless lingo.
for example nowadays we speak in senseless lingo. 'damnit they lost the game' instead of 'subhanallah they lost the game'
'bloody....'
'what the heck!'
and so on...
i really think its beneficial to constantly remember Allah and to incorporate His name into your life in every aspect
abdullah (servant of Allah)
Don't think Ali's post was intended to critique all use of those words; I imagine he can drop his 'inshaa Allaahs' as well as any of us. :-) The point of his post is, I think, encapsulated in this extract:
What I'm talking about is when the use gets so extensive that it is obvious the speaker is making a point to ensure that his or her speech is lined with them. What is the reason for this I wonder? Is it because they think it is more virtuous to speak this way? Possibly (actually, likely). But that doesn't remove from the fact that it is also unnatural, and that it is obvious that it is unnatural, and might often turn off some people who may think the person they're talking to is trying too hard to be overtly pious, condescending and holier-than-thou.
I posted on a related phenomenon on my blog here. The discussion afterwards is fascinating, and worthy of a second look.
Subhan'Allah, my coffee was very good this morning. It's usually pretty good, but alhamdulillah, today it was extra good.
I think what irks me the most is when people I know call me "brother". I have a name (an Arabic name, in fact), you know my name, then why the heck are you calling me "brother"?
And now we have "Sidi". I don't know what this even means. I've heard this term is from Mauritania or Morrocco. I'm not from there, and I'm sure neither are you, so stop calling me this.
I think you're onto something when you talk about this being an issue of identity. All this is a result of some sort of inferiority complex among non-Arab religious Muslims. For some reason, we don't feel "Muslim" enough in our own right, so we have to adopt someone else's culture and language.
Or maybe, as some people might say, I just don't love Islam.
Safiyyah's right. I thought it was clear from the post, but I guess it needed reiterating.
A further note to Anonymous, your IP address shows you're not from Canada, so you may be unfamiliar with the culture here among some people - trust me, it can get annoying. Let's just call it too much of a good thing.
Peter, if you do post, make it funny. Mine could have been more tongue-in-cheek, but I thought I'd be a little diplomatic for a change.
Sidi Omair. Jazak Allah kheir Akhy for your comment. I hope your coffee is extra good every day insha Allah, and I don't think you don't love Islam estaghferallah.
The true test would be to ask someone the actual translation of the Arabic words they are using, I bet most would not know the exact meaning, but the context they are used in.
I wonder if it is just odd to hear Muslims use these words because they are not part of the everyday language in this country. I had family over this weekend from the Middle East and they would use phrases like in sha Allah ("God willing"), elhamdu lillah ("all praise is to God"), subhan Allah ("glory to God").
I had no problem with this because I knew it was real and not sprinkled throughout ... however, if said from a local here, I probably would think otherwise.
BTW ... Omair, your jokes.
Post a Comment