Thursday, June 01, 2006

Stating the obvious

The alleged massacre by US Marines of 24 innocent civilans in Haditha, Iraq raises the question: how many other similar incidents and Abu Ghreib-type abuses have occurred and are occurring in Iraq that do not get reported? Even if the answer is none, we are already at more than enough to continue to justify US military presence in Iraq. The war may have looked good to some on paper, and may even have achieved some good consequences, but it is clear that the US and its war allies are ill-equipped and badly prepared for post-war reconstruction and restoration of stability.

I'd like to be able to say that America shouldn't leave before cleaning up the mess it created, but I'm more and more convinced that it is unable to do so, and its presence will only further worsen the situation. To leave or not to leave, that is no longer the question.

Update, June 2, 11:40 AM: Richard Gwyn in today's Star calls this incident as signalling the beginning of the end of the Iraq war.

2 comments:

omair quadri said...

But what happens if America does leave? We have a Shia-dominated gov't, an (rag-tag) Iraqi army and police force comprised mostly of Shias, a sizable Sunni minority that feels disenfranchised, and a relentless Sunni insurgency. Can we expect an all-out civil war that may last for decades? If so, I don't think America leaving will better the situation, but in fact may make it worse.

Ali said...

I shared your view until recently, but I don't think a continued US presence will help the situation significantly. I also don't think Iraq would degenerate into civil war if American and other troops leave. The different major Iraqi factions may have conflicting interests, but not to the point that they would be willing to break up the country in getting what they want. The biggest problem in my view is the Sunni insurgency, and that would lose much ideological legitimacy if the US-led occupation ends and, say, American troops are replaced by forces that are more acceptable to Iraqis and the international community (e.g. under the UN banner).