The biggest annoyance
Something went wrong and now I can't access secure web sites from my laptop. That means I can't check email, can't log on to MSN, can't do anything else online with SSL (like online banking). What a royal pain. I've tried every fix I could find, but no difference. Maybe my more tech-savvy readers could offer some suggestions?
Update, May 31, 7:20 PM: After four days of trying all kinds of things (some more than once), I had the IT services at school look at it. They in turn couldn't come much closer to solving the problem (although they did narrow it down - I'll spare the more specific technical details). Anyway, it came down to having to do a complete System Recovery, which means the problem is fixed, and I still have my files that I had backed up, only now I need to reinstall some software.
10 comments:
Install Linux
Actually, I think you may have an old proxy setting set in your IE/Firefox setting?
Also,
Run a full Antivirus and Spyware check. You may have a trojan horse running or something.
For some reason, the certificates stored in your Web browser that validate certificates presented by Web sites you visit are missing.
Try the following: (for Internet Explorer, you can do similar steps in Firefox too)
1. Select Tools -> Internet Options.
2. Click the Content tab.
3. Click the Certificates button.
4. Click the Intermediate Certificate Authorities or Root Trusted Certificate Authorities.
5. Verify that you have some certificates listed in those fields. If you do not have any that maybe your problem.
I'm becoming a super nerd now ... my blog comments are becoming similar to what I do in my job :|
umm, an error message or a screenshot mite lead us in the rite direction
H
I had tried the spyware and virus checks, but it didn't make a difference. The proxy settings are fine too.
Ozair, I checked the certificates. There are a bunch of them there.
I just get the usual "The page cannot be displayed" screen for IE and its counterpart for Firefox for all https sites.
If you have a desktop firewall, turn it off and try it again.
I had a similar problem recently, I actually got around it by turning off SSL v3 in the browser.
The settings is in the Advanced tab of IE Internet Options page.
See if that works ... if it does, I expect a new blog post from you congratulating me ;-)
Visit degrouchyowl.blogspot.com
The firewall has been off. And trying different on/off combos with the SSL settings doesn't change anything. This is ridiculous. Thanks though. If you have any other ideas, send them along.
get a Mac
:)
Post a Comment