Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Stephen Harper, premier ministre

So it looks like Conservatives are switching places with the Liberals in a new minority government. Election results are still coming in, but it should be around a 20-seat difference between the two. The Liberals with over 100 seats under their belt did better than what a lot of people might have expected.

Some points of note:

  • Michael Ignatieff managed a comfortable win, as did Belinda Stronach. Too bad they won't get to be in cabinet.
  • Stockwell Day is in. But is he also the new foreign minister (shudder)? Pierre Pettigrew is out. Just as well.
  • Olivia Chow upset the Liberal incumbent. Overall, the NDP had a much better showing. But a Tory-NDP coalition still won't be enough to make a majority. It should be interesting to see how political alliances work out in the next few days. It seems the new minority government should have a difficult time getting some of their more right-wing ideas float in parliament.
  • It should be even easier for a successful no-confidence vote in the new parliament, but I don't think either the parties or Canadians in general want another election anytime soon.
  • That said, there will likely be another election before the full five year term is complete, when either the Conservatives or the Liberals feel they can emerge with a majority vote.
  • Look out for better Canada-US relations. Whether that is good for Canada is another question. It might be, but Harper will have to show he is not Tony Blair.
  • Canadian politics are oscillating around the centre, and hopefully should be that way for some time. That is a good thing.
  • Paul Martin looked more comfortable in his defeat speech than he did through his entire time as prime minister. He also used the podium to announce he is stepping down as party leader. C'est la vie. Who's next?

5 comments:

Ozair said...

there will likely be another election before the full five year term is complete

As I was watching election coverage last night, one of the anchors mentioned that a minority government has a shorter term (less than five years) than a majority government. After hearing that statement, and wanted to have the satisfaction of proving Ali wrong, I decided to find evidence of this statement, but I failed, however, I did find an interesting fact:

The average duration of minority governments in Canada is 1 year, 5 months and 27 days

So, lets see how long this government lasts.

Ali said...

I don't think anyone wants an election soon. The Liberals need to regroup and find another leader, the NDP should be happy with their better showing, and the Conservatives will make sure they hold on to power and don't do anything that might get them a no-confidence vote.

As my friend Peter noted in his most recent post, the Conservatives will likely lie low until Canadians are used to having them in power and save their more extreme right-wing plans for a better victory in a future election.

Anonymous said...

At least Canadian politics will be slightly more exciting. ;-) I think Harper's going to find it really hard to maneouvre in Parliament because the other parties are so strongly represented. Will be interesting to see who makes up his Cabinet though. Imagine Stockwell Day as Minister of Foreign Affairs? Enough to give grown-ups nightmares.

Stephen Harper gave a killer victory speech last night - I was very impressed. I did feel a bit sorry for Paul Martin though. I'm glad he announced he was giving up the leadership of the party, but everyone with him just looked so devastated. What a horrible end for a man who brought with him such high expectations. By the way, must admit to being overjoyed that Anne McLellan and Pierre Pettigrew were ousted. I couldn't stand either of them.

Ali said...

I felt bad for Martin too. I didn't care for him much when he first became prime minister. But the crazy ride the Liberals went through since then made me wish he would come through somehow. He inherited a sinking ship from Chretien, except that wasn't apparent until after he became PM.

I think I need to give Canadian politics a rest and get on with school.

Huma said...

Paul Martin should of stepped down before the election.. Liberals would of actually had a chance if he had.