Tuesday, January 10, 2006

More on the election (no yawns this time)

My last two posts were about the election and a former UW-er who is now a law student, respectively. Well, this one is about a former UW student now studying law who is running in the upcoming election (no, I did not plan my posts to come out in this order).

Regular readers here would know I've written a few times about Michael Ignatieff, human rights professor who is the Liberal candidate in Toronto's Etobicoke-Lakeshore riding, and who is widely considered to have aspirations to become head of the Liberal party after Paul Martin. As I learned recently, the NDP candidate in that riding is none other than Waterloo's own Liam McHugh-Russell. McHugh-Russell was in my first year computer science class back in 1999 (I remember him because he would ask a lot of questions in class while I was generally clueless or more interested in the clock).

He went on to run for and get elected to the UW student government, and is now in 1L at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law. The article in the link says he is still enrolled in classes while campaigning. All I can say to that is, wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. But we wish him luck and I'm sure this won't be the last we hear of him.

2 comments:

Mark Andrew said...

Wouldn't that be big news if Ignatieff was upset in Etobicoke, eh? Although it would be the Conservative that has the best shot at it, wouldn't it?

Ali said...

That would be something, although I think that riding is Liberal through and through (unless an overwhelming number of Ukranian Canadians vote anti-Ignatieff because of his past controversial remarks about Ukraine).