Friday, January 06, 2006

All set for the new year?

It is almost time to get back to school for another crazy ride of lectures, readings, assignments, and everything in between (cue: jump for joy here). I've been largely away from any serious blogging over the past couple of months or so - first it was exams and then the overwhelming need to just do nothing that required thinking and typing. Now that my mind is all rested (or at least I hope), a fresh post is in order, one to start the new year on a bright note.

But first, what have I been up to over the past couple of weeks. All of sleeping, TV, movies, road trips and even cooking. I also managed to fit in a book in there - The Da Vinci Code. As somebody pointed out, I finally jumped on this four year old bandwagon. Whatever, it was a fun quick read. The first half was far more interesting than the second. I found it to drag after a while, with a lot of repetition and some rather shallow mysteries and red herrings. I was amused at one point that it took the supposedly highly qualified characters a full two pages to decipher a certain clue when I was able to do it almost right away (not bragging here, it was a no-brainer). I was also able to figure out the identity of the villain of the story - again, it wasn't difficult at all, but then, I have the experience of having read scores of Agatha Christie whodunnits. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Alright, now for the promised bright note. Here are some of Ali's new year resolutions:

  • Wake up early (for those who know me know this is possibly the hardest of my resolutions)
  • Drink less coffee (yeah right)
  • Do all readings for the week by Monday (that's a lot of wishful thinking)
  • Read other than just school and law-related material (especially fiction)
  • Be healthier
  • Be nicer (I've become grumpier and more intolerant since this whole law thing - yes, it's possible, believe it or not)
There's lots more but I'll stop here. Happy New Year everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question: Why do people make resolutions they can't keep? Are they just doing what everyone else seems to be doing (ie. it's January, and therefore I must come up with an overly optimistic (and perhaps even naive) set of goals for myself in order to demonstrate just how cleverly I can bypass all of them for the rest of the year)?

Anonymous said...

It's the intention that counts...May Allah SWT help you in all of it :)

Ozair said...

By posting your new year resolutions on your blog, you will at least remember the ones you made. You will probably forget the New Year resolutions that you made a few months from now, well I always do.

I also wanted to read Da Vinci code, but never had a chance, since I have to read too many techie books for work. I'm glad you did not give away the plot, although the movie is coming out this summer, and I'll probably end up watching the movie before reading the book.

I think a better resolution would be to spend less on coffee rather than drink less coffee. I just purchased a coffee maker as a Christmas gift for myself ;-). The coffee I make is still not like the Tim Horton’s coffee, but its good enough to give me my caffeine injection for the day.

Anonymous said...

Omar, don't take me so seriously. :-)
Just to clarify though, I'm obviously not questioning the need to "aspire, resolve, etc..." I just think a lot of New Year's resolutions are artificial and overly ambitious and I'm wondering why that is so.

Ali said...

In my case I don't think the resolutions are overly ambitious. Things like getting up early, cutting down on caffeine etc. are all attainable goals. I'm just being realistic about myself though in terms of how easy or difficult it will be for me to stick to them.

In general for people, I think a lot of new year resolution-making is more like a fun activity associated with the start of the new year. It's not supposed to be taken completely seriously. And once in a while, you may actually remember you made such-and-such resolution and actually act in on it, and other times not.

On a side note, I wonder if posting my resolutions on my blog will put me under greater pressure to make sure I'm meeting them...

Ozair said...

With all this New Year resolution talk, it reminded me that the Islamic New Year is fast approaching (January 31st). However, I have never heard anyone make Islamic New Year resolutions.
Here is an opportunity to come up with Islamic resolutions such as: reading the Quran more, increasing Islamic knowledge, etc..., or would it be deemed haram because people would lose focus on the real meaning of the Islamic New Year.