Friday, January 27, 2006

Can't think of a title for this post

I think my creativity (however much I had) has gone down since I started law school. I cannot seem to be able to think clearly of what to write, how to write it, and how to make it sound at least minimally interesting or useful.

Also, everything I talk about somehow comes back to being related to the fact that I'm (supposedly) studying law. I don't mean that I end up bragging about being in law school - I don't think it's that big of a deal actually; I think that it's because my mind is becoming more and more consumed by what law school requires of you. Of course it doesn't help that I get an average 6 or 7 e-mails a day about course material, student club activities, school services, and other academic and extra-curricular stuff. My calendar has at least one pair of conflicting entries every week, and I'm often worried about having forgotten some event or task I was supposed to have attended or completed. Not to mention the ever present concern about not finishing the required readings for each class. That last line is a joke. I think I've managed to live with the fact that I will never get all of the readings done the way I would like.

So, pardon the sloppiness and deteriorating quality of my blog. It's only because I'm overly preoccupied. (Does that make sense? Overly preoccupied? Doesn't preoccupied imply overly?)




(Yes, those of you who guessed it, this is actually an attempt to get people to write comments saying how I'm wrong and how my blog is still one of the more intellectually superior ones they read.)

6 comments:

Din said...

Ali your wrong and your blog is still one of the more intellectually superior ones I have read. :-P

Ali said...

Thanks much for that.

I didn't know about the scientifically proven connection between graduate school and diminished creativity. So my fear is confirmed. Well, at least it's good to get that out of the way.

There had better be a way out of these mines in the end, and not one that involves evil Orcs and nasty monsters.

Anonymous said...

Ali, I have a question for you. One of my law profs was insistent that I do a joint JD/PhD program at UofT. Her reasoning was that law school changes the manner in which one thinks. I'm wondering whether you've noticed that change in yourself, because I'm still a bit mystified by her comment. And no, I decided not to go the route she'd recommended.

Have to admit, these angst-ridden posts are kind of intriguing. ;-) No sympathy from me, because you don't need it!

Anonymous said...

Your blog outshines many others...Keep up the good work!!

Ali said...

Thanks for that vote of confidence, h.

Safiyyah, I'm only about five months into law school, so maybe I'm not a good judge of what your professor meant. Has it changed the way I think? Not significantly, but it has probably made me even more analytical about everything. I think I was always so (coming from a philosophy background), even before I started law school, and that's not true for a lot of people. So yeah, maybe law school makes you more analytical, so you break down everything into a structure in order that it can be analyzed. This means that there often is no "right" or "wrong" answer, just what "fits well" or "fits better" one way or the opposite way. Does that make sense?

Maybe you did good not to do a joint JD. Law makes you impersonal about morality (now I wonder if I might have said too much). But I think to some extent academic study and even something like medicine makes you impersonal or detached/disconnected from the more "emotional" aspects of your field.

Now I wasn't looking for sympathy when I wrote this post, but it looks like that's what I'm getting from almost everyone who commented. I think I kick in the rear end would me more useful at this time than sympathy. I've been slacking royally, as usual. My new year's resolutions are pretty much all long forgptten.

Ali said...

Looks like I got a little tipsy towards the end there. I hate finding typos and stranded words that were meant to be deleted, after I click the Send/Publish button.

I forgot to ask you Safiyyah, what are you doing your PhD in? You may of course have mentioned it on your own blog but I haven't been going through people's blogs with a fine-tooth comb, so I apologize if you'll have to repeat yourself.