Thursday, June 28, 2007

Another feather in Waterloo's cap

Jim Balsillie, who's bid for the Nashville Predators (and with it any move of the Predators to Canada) is all but dead, is in the news for another reason: setting up a new school of international affairs in Waterloo, Ont.

The Balsillie School of International Affairs will be made possible by a $33 million donation by Balsillie, along with an additional $17 million for another Balsillie-led Waterloo project, the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI). The Ontario government as well as University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University will also contribute to the financing of the school, to be located next to CIGI.

I'm pleased that Waterloo is continuing to grow as a knowledge-based economy. In the year that the University of Waterloo marks its 50th year, Waterloo - a city of only around 100,000 people - is home to two world class universities, a research and technology park and several major tech companies, a theoretical physics institute, a global governance think tank, and soon a school of international affairs.

Waterloo looks set to become not just the technology capital of Canada, but a major social sciences and research centre as well. Look out Boston.

3 comments:

Ozair said...

I read a similar article ... they were comparing Waterloo with Cambridge, MA, which is a pretty high compliment.

Peter Thurley said...

Do you ever regret leaving CIGI in favour of law school? I'd kill for a job at CIGI...

Ali said...

Peter, sometimes I wish I'd waited a year before starting law school, but overall I don't regret the law school decision. Who knows, there might be ways in the future when I can work in collaboration with CIGI on something. I'm really glad Waterloo has an institution like CIGI and I hope they continue to grow and pull their weight nationally and internationally (this new school looks like it will help).