Wednesday, August 31, 2005

It's goodbye Waterloo

It looks my time in Waterloo is finally coming to an end. It's been an eventful last six years - as I'm in a habit of telling others, I have lived in Waterloo longer than in any other city. For some time now though, I have felt like it is time to move on, but at this point, I can't help but feel sad at leaving behind the familiar sights of the city and the university.

My grandfather (الله يرحمه) always joked about the dangers of being in a town called Waterloo. It wasn't good for Napoleon and it won't be good for you, he would say. Well Waterloo has been good for me in many ways. But there is a period of progression and a time for stagnation, and I have increasingly felt like I am at the latter stage in my Waterloo era.

Towards a new breath of progression.

12 comments:

Din said...

Ali! What? Where ? When ? How ? You are moving away ????

Peter Thurley said...

Ali, I'm sorry to see you go... how can I get your job ;) :P

Ali said...

Peter, I'm sure we'll still keep in touch - through blogs if not that often in person.

About my job, quitting was one of the hardest things to do, but my boss was more supportive and understanding than I would have imagined. So yeah, my position is open. They're going to be going back to looking at the people they passed over when they picked yours truly. But keep a look out on the web site and see if they reopen the position publicly.

Hammad (and others who are wondering), I'm moving to Toronto, so not too terribly far. Going back to school. (Sigh) I was looking forward to having some spare change after all these years. Looks like it's not happening just about now.

Peter Thurley said...

Where are you going to school? did you get into law school?

Ali said...

Yeah. Osgoode. It was a bit of a surprise. Wish me luck.

Junaid said...

You will have plenty of spare change when you're practising corporate law on Bay Street. Everyone gives into the man sooner or later :)

Din said...

!!!! :-)

Ali Ahmed L.L.B.

Congrats!

omair quadri said...

well then, let me warn you about the dangers of toronto....... you might get shot.

congrats on Osgoode.

Peter Thurley said...

wow!!! congradulations for getting into the best law school in Canada!!!

Anonymous said...

congratulations, ali. wish you the best.

Din said...

So Ali does this mean you wont be getting married for the enxt 3 years :-(

Ali said...

Thanks everyone, especially those who've given me advice on this. Let's hope it's for the best.