Governor Jeaneral
"I am a woman of action, and I can’t wait to get started."
That's how Michaëlle Jean ended her statement about being selected as the new Governor General of Canada, starting September. She will be the first black person and the third woman to fill the post. CBC journalist Jean should prove to be an excellent choice, if only the Governor General did more than make ceremonial visits and attend gala dinners (paid for by tax payers).
I have hope in Jean though. She notes about Canada:
"The greatest asset of this country is that it evolves. During the years I have worked as a journalist and a broadcaster on our public television channels, I saw prejudices fade and attitudes change. The days when someone would dare to think and say that a black person wouldn’t have any credibility as a journalist in the eyes of the public have passed."
"We must continue to grow."
No comments:
Post a Comment