Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mabrouk Stéphane Dion

Well it looks like my first choice has emerged winner in the Liberal leadership race. I'm happy it turned out that way. Congrats Stéphane Dion, to have come ahead from fourth place at the eve of the convention all the way to the front.

Is this the end of the political career for runner up Michael Ignatieff? Here's what I had to say over a year ago about him entering Canadian politics. It certainly would have been interesting to have him as leader of the Liberal party and possibly prime minister. I'm not too upset that won't be happening now. As one of the political commentators on TV pointed out today, there were two university professors and a Rhodes scholar left as the top three contenders, so any pick out of that would have been great. Dion has a lot of work to do now if he also intends to win the next election.

7 comments:

Din said...

I agree, Dion seems to be a good guy. He is soft spoken and has an french accent but despite that, he comes across as a very genuine person with his words. LEts hope he is like that with his actions.

I was never comfortable with Ignatief's position on Iraq and even Quebec

Peter Thurley said...

Ali,

were you at the convention in Montreal?

Ali said...

Haha, no. I realize how my comment over on your blog might seem like I was there.

I saw the major part of it on TV and it was really exciting even then. I can imagine what it would have been like to actually have been there. I'm not that much of a politics enthusiast (not yet anyway). :)

Ozair said...

I have been guilty of not following the leadership race closely, but decided to cheer for Dion after you recommended him to me a few weeks ago. Also, Mr. Rae and Mr. Ignatieff stance on a few issues did not jive with moi.

Get ready for some blame from me if things go bad with Mr. Dion ;-)

Anonymous said...

My dad and sis went to the convention as delegates. They had a great experience.. especially since Dion won. I can get you a lime green Dion scarf or button if you want :)

Ali said...

Ozair, thanks for trusting my opinion. Of course, you know I'm (almost) always right.

Sara, that's awesome. Save me one of those green scarves, for the next time I see you. Thanks!

Bilal Shirazi said...

Next time?