Thursday, December 14, 2006

"Do you smile?"

On my usual walk to Starbucks today, I was descending some steps on the way to the street, when a lady walking up from the opposite direction called out to me. I, busy in my own thoughts, couldn't make out what she said, except that it was a question of some sort. Probably asking for directions, I figured.

"Sorry?" I responded.

"Do you smile?" she repeated.

It took me half a second to get the import of those words, but when I did, I automatically broke into a full smile, realizing what a dark and horrible frown I'd had on my face previously.

"That's it!" she smiled back, and we continued walking our separate ways.

'Tis the season to be jolly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ammi wrote


that's a lot better. Keep smiling!

It certainly will make a difference in and around u .

Anonymous said...

Awwww. :-)
I know I've said the same to you ad nauseum, but yeah, I think that stranger's absolutely right. You should smile more often. Plus that signature smile really is your most charming feature!

Faray said...

Is that really your Ammi?
Mash'allah!.. :)
I agree with the other stranger about your smile.
Good to see you at the conference. Take care and wish you best of luck in all of your endeavors!
wassalam