Ali cooks, sort of
I tried making lasagna for the first time today. All that time watching the Food Network made me feel cooking wasn't that hard. Well it's not that hard - the actual processes involved in cooking, that is. What's hard is getting the finished product to look and taste like the real thing. At the end of it all, you just cross your fingers and wish for what comes out of the oven to be half decent.
Alas, my dream of having making a gourmet dinner all on my own will take some more tries to come true. The store-bought baguette was great, but it ends there. My salad was mediocre. And as for the lasagna, the proportion of sauce to pasta wasn't right, and I should have used a smaller baking dish. I should also stop relying largely on personal judgement when measuring out the ingredients and deciding how long and at what temperature to cook them at.
It's still edible, and actually doesn't taste half bad. So what if it doesn't have the lasagna texture and consistency. I'm still happy I tried my hand at it, without help from any formal recipe may I add.
Now for some dessert. Let's see what's on the pastry menu at Richtree.
8 comments:
Was it really so important that you had to tell us twice?
Congratulations! You've taken a great step to improving your culinary skills :)
That sounds so cute!
My favorite food is Lasagne... it's hard to make it perfect the first few times, some people never get it right.
Better yet find someone who can make it for you.
J
Real men don't cook.
Real men leave their names.
I've a recipe for skillet lasagna that works very well, and is significantly less difficult than the traditional kind. Let me know if you'd like a copy.
Dan, you're welcome to send me that recipe. I think I've given up on cooking though (for now at least). What are you up to. The link on your name doesn't work by the way.
Post a Comment