Thursday, May 25, 2006

This post is me continuing to procrastinate at work

This was the first time I somewhat kept track of what's going on in American Idol - anything to keep from reading those law textbooks. I missed the last two weeks' episodes, so I only found out in today's news about the winner Taylor Hicks. The biggest suprise for me is not who won, or that, as Omair points out, more Americans voted for this year's Idol winner than for any US presidential election, but that Taylor Hicks is 29 years old. I had first thought he must be in his forties, and then subconsciously bettered my estimate to somewhere in the late thirties. Anyway, for what it's worth, the guy sings very well.

2 comments:

Ozair said...

The other interesting fact about this contest is that all the winners have come from red states. At one point 50% of television sets in the red states were tuned into American Idol.

The only part of American idol that is interesting are the early auditions of people who cannot sing but think they can. Who can forget William Hung rendition of a Ricky Martin song, which escapes me as I write ... even my parents could not stop laughing and when my parents laugh at something non-South Asian, you know it has to be funny.

Anonymous said...

"even my parents could not stop laughing and when my parents laugh at something non-South Asian, you know it has to be funny"
....

that is so true for most south asian parents! :-)