Friday, November 18, 2005

Not-so-good students at Osgoode

I thought I'd breach my self-imposed hiatus this one time to post part of an e-mail our class received today from one of our professors:

...I am writing to let you know that the pages relevant to your current... assignment have, unfortunately, been removed from the library's shelf copy of the CED [Canadian Encyclopedic Digest]. While there is a copy of the source on reserve in the library, and the online version... of the CED is readily accessible, I am incredibly disappointed about this removal. I am concerned both with the integrity issues raised by such activity, and with the lack of respect for library resources that it illustrates. My apologies to those who spent time looking in this source to no avail.
We'd all heard these rumours about law school, about pages being ripped from library resources and all that, but I for one didn't take them too seriously.

Sad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got the same e-mail last year. Whoever does this, knowing it's all online anyways, is a real retard

omair quadri said...

Pages being ripped out of books.
Didn't I tell you stuff like this happens. But no, you didn't believe me. You think you know everything.

Ali said...

Hey, I didn't think people would actually be retarded like that. So I'm a little naïve.

And yes, Omair, I should take your word over Osgoode upper years who in an official introduction video said such "rumours" are totally misplaced.

Anonymous said...

As an upper year myself, I can attest that last year at least, none of our library resources were "lost" or "stolen". Sadly, it was most likely a first year LRW student who took the papers, asnone of us upper-years have access to your assignments. I think it's terrible that it has come to this, though.

Sure, it's all still available online for all to see, but the fact remains that being able to look it up in the library is not just for "fun", but is a valuable skill that you'll use one day when a senior associate asks you to look up a case in the bowls of the great library...one that Quicklaw and Lexis hasn't even heard of.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about this. It sucks. And while it's difficult to say if they'll ever find or be able to punish the person who did it, I hope they realize the errors of their ways, so in the future you don't run into this issue again.

Anonymous said...

Last night, I was looking through some books at the Bora Laskin Library at UofT when I came across a book on Islamic Law with a whole bunch of pages ripped out cleanly. I can't understand it. Is photocopying all that difficult?

Ali said...

That's awful. You'd think people in law school are mature enough not to express their insecurities this way. I guess not.